The Prow: Ngā Kōrero o Te Tau Ihu
Discover historical and cultural stories from the top of the South Island.
A valuable resource for school students, researchers and those interested in the history of the top of the South Island.
Stories are authoritative, professionally researched and written about specific events or aspects of the Nelson, Tasman and Marlborough region.
Further resources include bibliographies and guides to websites, books and articles on the topic. The Prow even has a Your Story section where you can contribute your own story. This section of the site includes stories written by regional school students.
Read, enjoy and research, add your own story, comment on any story.
Some things to do on The Prow:
- Read the creation stories of Te Tau Ihu explaining the origins of the South Island.
- Learn about Appo Hocton, the first Chinese immigrant in New Zealand.
- Uncover the story of the notorious Burgess Gang and the Maungatapu murders.
- Find out about the gold rush in Golden Bay.
- See photographs taken after the Murchison earthquake.