If we don't have the item you want, we may be able to borrow it from another library. We call this our interloan service.
- What Types of Items Can I Borrow?
- How Long Can I Have the Item?
- How Much Does it Cost?
- How do I Request an Item?
Most books held by libraries in New Zealand are available on interloan. You can find items in other New Zealand libraries using Te Puna Search.
The following types of items can be interloaned under special conditions:
- Talking books on CD can be interloaned for customers with a visual impairment or print disability. You must be registered for our Print Disabilities Service to request these items;
- Motor repair manuals may be interloaned for use in the library only. Photocopies of specific sections are also available;
- Photocopies of individual magazine/journal articles.
Several types of items are not available as part of the interloan service:
- Most CDs;
- Textbooks required for a current school/university/polytechnic course;
- Reference only items, or books on closed reserve;
- Newly published books - please suggest a purchase instead.
Usually three weeks - although this may vary. The loan period starts from the date the library sends us the item, so it is a good idea to pick it up as soon as possible so you have longer to read it.
- We may be able to renew your interloan. Please phone your local library if you would like a renewal.
- You cannot renew interloan items online via your library account.
The standard charge for interloans is $5.00. Additional charges may apply if the item is only available from certain New Zealand and overseas libraries, or if you require the item urgently. The interloan fee must be paid when you collect the item.
Please note: If you request an interloan but change your mind and do not collect it from the library, the fee is still payable.
If Tasman District Libraries don’t own the item you want, use the Interloan Request Form.
Staff will process your request within 24 hours (Monday to Friday) and will contact you if there are any issues, or when the item is ready to be picked up. If items are available, they usually arrive within two weeks.
- Request an Interloan online
- If you need an Interloan before a specific date, please tell us on the request form.
- If you need the item within seven working days, or if you have any questions, please phone your local library.
Please note: Books published in the last six months are not available through this service. Please suggest a purchase instead.