Internet Use Policy
Access to the internet on public computers at Tasman District Libraries is free.
This page summarises the policy for using the internet on the library's computers or wireless connection. Customers using the internet agree to this policy.
Information on the Internet
- While the library will attempt to block access to internet sites with explicit content, which may reasonably be considered to be objectionable or offensive, it cannot guarantee that users will not encounter sites with content which they find offensive.
- The library has no control over and will give no guarantees as to the accuracy or reliability of information on the internet, and will accept no responsibility for any losses or damages resulting from the use of this information.
- The library cannot guarantee the security of any personal data or information transmitted using the library public access internet facilities.
- Any link which may be provided from the library website to any other website does not imply an endorsement of that website or its content by either Tasman District Libraries or the Tasman District Council.
Children and Internet Use
- While the library will assist children in the safe use of the internet it does not accept responsibility for supervising that use. Parents and caregivers have the primary responsibility for supervising their children’s use of the library, including their use of the internet.
- Underage usage (13 years and under) of Social Networking websites is not acceptable and the library reserves the right to terminate customer’s access to the internet if we become aware of underage use of these website.
- The library reserves the right to terminate any customer’s access to the internet if staff consider that the customer is behaving in an unacceptable way. Unacceptable behaviour includes viewing what is deemed by the library to be offensive or objectionable material, or acting in any way that might endanger the security of the library network, or the integrity or security of any other network or internet site.
Notes on Copyright
- You may not use the libraries' internet computers or wireless connection for any purpose which infringes copyright laws.
- You may copy a commercially produced CD or DVD only if the CD or DVD has been legitimately acquired and you are the person who owns it. It may only be copied for your own personal use.
- Music and movies may be downloaded from the internet and copied onto personally-owned devices only from web sites that legally permit downloading. Unless the web sites specifically state that downloading of music or movies may lawfully be undertaken, downloading is a breach of copyright and may not be undertaken on computers in the library.
- It is your personal responsibility to comply with copyright law.
- Copyright owners are entitled to take legal action against persons who infringe their copyright.