Get digital and let your imagination run wild.
The Imaginarium is Richmond Library's private sound-proof studio. It's equipped with computers, scanning, video and sound recording gear you can use to lay down some music tracks, digitize slides and photos, create a poster or anything else you can imagine - the possibilities are endless in this digital studio space.
Anyone can use the Imaginarium, you don't have to be a library member - but children under 14 need to have an adult with them.
- You can book the Imaginarium for your personal use for up to three hours a day.
- If you think you'll need assistance using the equipment, please let us know when you book; you can make an appointment with staff for up to 45 minutes. If you are unsure about using the equipment, you might want to bring along a computer savvy friend to help you.
- We recommend a maximum group size of four, due to the size of the Imaginarium.
- The Imaginarium is available until 30 minutes before closing time.
Booking the Imaginarium
To make a booking, phone us on (03) 543 8500, or you can book a staff member to help you by filling in the Book a Librarian form. The Imaginarium can be quite popular so we recommend booking at least a couple of days in advance.
- Free for non-commercial use.
- If you want to use the Imaginarium for financial gain, there is a fee of $50 per booking.
- A current form of ID such as your library card (if you are a library member), a driver’s licence, passport, or student ID card.
- A USB memory stick to save your work to.
The Imaginarium is soundproof and equipped with:
- A Desktop PC: (provided by Aotearoa People’s Network Kaharoa);
- A3 colour scanner;
- iMac computer;
- A4 Colour printer;
- 35mm slide and negative scanner which converts slides and negatives to a digital format;
- Photo, video and audio editing software such as Garageband, iTunes, iMovie, and iPhoto; iWork and Photoshop CS5 for desktop publishing;
- Sound recording equipment such as a recording mixer; headphone amplifier; speakers; microphone; and Midi/USB keyboard for playing music;
- Optical character recognition (OCR) software for converting scanned printed image files to editable text;
- Skype is available on both computers;
- You can also book a digital video camera.