Dare to Read - Tasman's Summer Reading Programme
Registrations for this year's Dare to Read programme open on the library website on Monday 12 December 2016.
This page explains how Dare to Read works and what you need to do to register.
What is Dare to Read?
Dare to Read rewards readers aged 5 to 12 years.
The programme is designed to encourage children to continue reading through the six-week school holiday break. It's a fun way to keep the reading habit developing.
Dare to Read is open to Tasman District Library members aged 5-12 years old.
How Does It Work?
All kids have to do is read a minimum of 3 books, complete at least 3 activities and report in 3 times between Monday 19 December 2016 and Friday 27 January 2017.
At every check in readers choose some more books to read and receive a small reward.
Expert library staff are on hand to find just the right book for your child.
On completing Dare to Read, successful readers are awarded a medallion and certificate at their school assembly early in 2017.
How Do I Register?
There are no restrictions on the number of participants and there's a long period for registrations and check ins.
You'll need to fill in a form for each child you are registering.
- Registrations open on the library website from 9.30am Monday 12 December and remain open until 6.00pm Friday 6 January 2017.
- If you don't have internet access at home, head in to your local library and use one of our free internet access computers.
Once My Child is Registered What Do I Have to Do?
You can download a reading log for recording your child's reading, as well as other information about Dare to Read to get you started.
Or you can pick up a reading log from your local library.
Then it's a matter of reading, reading, reading and completing 3 activities from the range of options listed on the reading log.
Reading can be done at home and can be:
- reading on your own
- 'read with me' (for those not yet reading on their own)
- family reading
- shared reading
After you have read at home, and completed 3 of the activities, check in at one of our libraries (Richmond, Motueka, Murchison, Takaka):
- Check ins start on Monday 19 December and finish on Friday 27 January 2017.
- We need to see you 2 times in person, but the other check in can be online if you want - or in person, whatever you prefer!
- If you email us, please write in the subject line Dare to Read,the library branch where you registered with Dare to Read and your first and last names.
- Bring the books you have read to the check in session. You can have fun telling us about your books.
- Tell us about the activities you've completed, show us what you made or bring us a photo of you doing the activity.
- Your visit will be recorded on a card at the library.
- Each time you check in you will receive a sticker for your reading log. You need 3 stickers to complete the programme. You'll also receive a small reward at each of the 3 check ins.
- Check ins at Motueka, Richmond and Takaka Libraries are from 10.00am-12.00 and 2.00-4.30pm weekdays
- Check ins at Murchison Library are from 11.00am-12.00 noon Tuesdays to Fridays
- There are no check ins on Saturdays. Check ins between Christmas and New Year will be subject to staff availability.